Date: 10/1/17 2:27 pm
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Bstn hlw,/Yale Forest, Ashford/Union,10-1-17; Kinglets, 28 sp
Spent a nice day in the Yale Forest, more time than usual and places I
seldom visit, including Ashford/Union Turnpike and the Yale Forest Camp road.
Obvious fall-out of GC Kinglets, plus a couple of Ruby-Crowned. Also, lots
of Yellow-rumps, many still singing. Woodpeckers very active today, more
than in a long time. Still a lot of YB Sapsuckers, but all juvenile.
Saw a sparrow I couldn't ID. Terribly backlit so I couldn't see much
detail. See description in Ebird report, and if you have any ideas, let me know.
Thanks.

Oct 1, 2017 8:00 AM - 3:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
14.0 mile(s)
Comments: I covered considerably more ground than usual today, some of
it places that I seldom bird. But it was productive with more birds and a
few extra species.
28 species (+1 other taxa)

Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 1
Mourning Dove 2
Belted Kingfisher 1 At the Barlow Mill Rd millponds. I seem to find one
there in the same spot 1 day every year. Adult female.
Red-bellied Woodpecker 7 Many seen and calling. Very active today, as
were all the woodpeckers
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 4 All seen, all juveniles
Downy Woodpecker 7
Hairy Woodpecker 6
Pileated Woodpecker 4
Eastern Phoebe 9 most seen but some still calling
Blue-headed Vireo 4 all seen, 2 still singing
Blue Jay 30
American Crow 3
Common Raven 1
Black-capped Chickadee 35
Tufted Titmouse 25
White-breasted Nuthatch 5
House Wren 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 15 Obviously a fall-out of them. 15 actually
seen but probably 50 or more in the areas I found them. I could hear them
all around me. Probably hundreds or thousands in the forest.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2 Apparently feeding on seeds from some gone-by
swamp plants. In association with several Yellow-rumped Warblers
Gray Catbird 1
Black-and-white Warbler 1 Adult male. Surprising to me they are still
around.
Pine Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 20 Probably more. Many singing, making the fall
warbler problem moot. Many of them also seen.
Black-throated Green Warbler 1 Minus the black throat, of course, in
fall plumage
Eastern Towhee 2
sparrow sp. 1 Largish Sparrow, with high crown on head like
Savannah, but lacking striping on breast or bright white/yellow eyelines that I
could see. Apparent indistinct blotch on gray breast. Dark back but apparent
reddish tail that was the only feature i could see in sunlight. In swampy
area next to stream.
Northern Cardinal 1
American Goldfinch 7

View this checklist online at