Date: 10/1/17 1:55 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Calling Massbirders!: Oct BBC pelagic
From: Nick Bonomo <nbonomo...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 16:19:26 -0400
Subject: Calling Massbirders!: Oct BBC pelagic

Massbirders, the October BBC overnight pelagic trip is in danger of NOT
RUNNING because of lack of interest. It would be such a shame for us to
miss out on this opportunity because not enough birders signed up to go.
October is a potentially very exciting time to get out there. Of course
nothing is guaranteed in [pelagic] birding, but these waters have produced
for us time and again. August and September, both of which were sold out,
were canceled due to weather. Unlucky for sure. Let's not miss an entire
season of deep water pelagics. See below! Act fast!

For you pelagic enthusiasts, the Brookline Bird Club (Massachusetts) has
scheduled an overnight pelagic to the canyons southeast of Cape Cod for the
weekend of October 14-15. This is in response to both the Aug and Sep
overnighters being weathered-out.

Deep-water pelagics have never been run to these ridiculously productive
waters in October, which is part of what makes the opportunity so exciting.
Our route usually takes us over the Nantucket Shoals twice, on our way to
and from our main birding area: the edge of the continental shelf.

This is potentially a super exciting time to be out there. We have a shot
at (I won't use the word "expect," because you never know with birding...)
5+ species of shearwater, multiple storm-petrel species, a solid jaeger
migration, both skuas, and many more. This is a great time of year for Red
Phalarope, Sabine's Gull, and Black-legged Kittiwake. Northern Gannets will
be on the return south. The first returning alcids are certainly in play
come mid-October! Sea ducks should be moving as well (we pass though
inshore waters on Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon). This is probably
as good a time as any to see a Pterodroma of some kind. (Note that an
October trip off New York to waters further west yielded a whopping 10+
Black-capped Petrels). There is no reason to think a lingering White-faced
Storm-Petrel (expected IN SOME NUMBERS in these waters Aug-Sep) is not
going to be out there. With all this year's tropical activity, perhaps
something like a Cape Verde Shearwater is in play. Or how about Zino's
Petrel? Hey, this is pelagic birding, so we'll be prepared for the
unexpected.

These waters are incredibly productive. The track record for the annual
late August overnight trip is insane. The August and September trips were
both sold out, and weathered-out. Signups for this October trip have been
slow to come in; it would be a real shame to not get out there because of
lack of signups!

If you're interested in signing up, contact Ida Giriunas at 781-929-8772,
ida8 (AT) verizon (dot) net. Act NOW, as I believe the cutoff date to meet
signup quota is any day now.

Nick Bonomo

Wallingford, CT

The official description:

"OCTOBER 14, 15 , 2017. This is a transition time of year. If enough people
sign up, We will go from Hyannis, MA to the Hydrographer Canyon area. Warm
waters are changing to cooler waters. Anything is possible: shearwaters,
skuas (the Great Skua would also be possible) , storm petrels (even the
white-faced is possible) , Gulls, including Sabines and Kittiwakes,
phalaropes, sea ducks and of course, the mammals. Excellent Photo ops
Limit: 50 participants

Cost: BBC members $310, non-members $330

We will have master birders Marshall Iliff, Nick Bonomo, Peter Flood and
Kate Sutherland leading the trip. Our boat is the Helen H. It is a very
comfortable, fast, 100-foot fishing boat with a knowledgeable and
enthusiastic captain and crew. We use gallons of chum to attract the birds.
There is a full galley with excellent food at reasonable prices. Parking is
free."

Join us on Facebook!