Date: 10/1/17 1:34 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Bad Day On The N.E. Lake County Lakefront Sunday 10-1-17
Welcome to October Bird People,

However, I hope the rest of October has better birds than the ones I
saw today! I probably did not need to do this report but I think
negative reports can be helpful for other's planning although a bad
day at a location on one day may change to a good day the next day.
But it was a struggle for Bob Erickson & I today.

Waukegan Beach (6:45-7:45 a.m.)

We looked for but did not find the King Rail & the Common Gallinule
seen here over the last few days although I did see the Gallinule last
week. As we were leaving Matt W was arriving so maybe he had better
luck than we did? Here's what we did see:

P.B. Grebe (3 in the inlet) & D.C. Cormorant (1 fly-by & about 20
toward Greenwood)
Mallard (1) & Shoveler (1) (Both in the inlet)
Sanderling (10 on the beach)
Ring Billed (~50) & Herring (~20) Gulls
Red Winged Blackbirds (6-8)
Saw Mourning Doves & Starlings along Sea Horse Dr & heard Blue Jays.

Illinois Beach South Unit (8-9:30 a.m.)

I've been covering this beach since early July about twice a week &
today was my 1st Shorebird Shutout in all that time. This was made
easier by a guy with a big yellow dog who had walked the entire beach
& by a 2nd guy with a black Lab charging around at the mouth of the
river which is usually the best place for both shorebirds & gulls.

The only birds on the entire beach were Ring Billed (22) & Herring (7)
Gulls & 1 Cormorant fly-by
Did I mention this was a bad day? I guess I did.

State Line Beach (10-10:15 a.m.)

Here there was a beached jet ski machine & when the owners returned
the group included 2 adults, 3 kids & 2 dogs with the kids & the dogs
running on the south end of the beach.
Again the only birds were Ring Billed (~75) & Herring (~65) Gulls

Made a quick stop to say hello at the IBSP North Hawk Watch & on the
way in roadside birds included Eastern Bluebird (2 males) & Cedar
Waxwing (1). The way things were going I was glad to see them!

Another quick stop on the way home was at Techny North where the only
shorebirds were five Killdeer. Also there were Great Blues (3), Great
Egret (1), D.C. Cormorant (7) plus Canada Geese, Mallards, Wood Ducks
& 3 Blue Winged Teal.

Bird-Of-The-Day isn't much but it goes to the 2 male Bluebirds &
Runner-Up to the Cedar Waxwing. Did I mention this was a bad day? Yes,
several times I think.

Al Stokie
Struggling in Lake County today but hoping for better days to come

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: