Date: 10/1/17 11:12 am
Subject: Re: Common Ground Dove in Wilson, NC
In my experience with Common and Ruddy ground-doves, having seen hundreds
of them, the bright rufous feathering in the wings is very obvious as the
birds fly. Unfortunately, this critical field mark was not seen or not
mentioned in the report, and it was seen in flight on two occasions. The
bird in question was seen late in the day, near evening, so maybe the light
was poor. Nonetheless, without mention of this rufous coloration, I don't
think you have enough confirmation that the bird was a Common Ground-Dove.
I hope the bird can be re-located, in better light, to determine its
identity.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 10:03 PM, Ann Brice <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> I was very surprised when I encountered what I think must have been a
> common ground dove when I was walking the dog this evening at 6:45 pm. It
> was right beside the sidewalk about five feet from me when I noticed it. I
> noticed the short rounded tail immediately and realized it wasn't a
> mourning dove. It flew a few seconds after I saw to an adjacent yard and as
> I moved closer it flew again. The short rounded tail was noted again as it
> flew. I did not see any obvious white patches or color contrasts. Seemed
> similar in color to mourning dove, maybe a little browner.
> I checked ebird and this may be the only sighting in NC in some time but I
> don't see what else it could have been. Perhaps the recent hurricanes have
> blown it further inland and north.
>
> Ann Brice
> Wilson, NC

Join us on Facebook!