Date: 10/1/17 10:19 am
From: Gerry Hawkins via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Weekly Walk at Dyke Marsh, WP, Fairfax County
Twenty persons joined me this morning for the weekly walk at Dyke Marsh WP
sponsored by The Friends of Dyke Marsh, which starts at 8 a.m. every Sunday
morning except during the Christmas Bird Count season and is free to all.
The seasonal transition was evident with several species of waterfowl and
limited migratory songbird activity encountered during the walk. Waterfowl
included GADWALL, AMERICAN BLACK DUCK, BLUE-WINGED TEAL, NORTHERN SHOVELER
and NORTHERN PINTAIL. Two GREATER YELLOWLEGS joined the large number of
GREAT BLUE HERONS and GREAT EGRETS seen on the Hunting Creek mudflats and
elsewhere. In addition to several conspicuous BALD EAGLES, raptors included
two RED-TAILED HAWKS together in flight near the end of Haul Road.
Highlights also included many active CASPIAN and FORSTERšS TERNS, constant
streams of CHIMNEY SWIFTS, a heard but unseen EASTERN BLUEBIRD, a single
GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL and several EASTERN PHOEBES. Warblers were limited
to a couple of PALM WARBLERS and a single heard COMMON YELLOWTHROAT. For
those interested a complete list of the 50 species encountered on the walk
may be viewed at the following ink: http://ebird.or
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39494753>
Tg/ebird/view/checklist/S39494753
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39494753>

Thanks to regular field trip leaders Larry Cartwright, Ed Eder, Ben Jessup
and Rich Rieger and all other persons who joined me on this beautiful fall
morning.

Gerry Hawkins
Arlington, VA