Date: 10/1/17 8:43 am
Subject: Santee Coastal Reserve CBC Highlights
After three days of birding (scout trip and two field trips) Sept. 28-30 for the Carolina Bird Club meeting held out of Pawleys Island, SC, highlights include a Ruff on the Cape Trail in the first impoundment that is drawn down staying on the main road leading out to the Intracoastal Waterway. Photos are in the eBird checklists, and approximately 109 species were observed in the three days there, including 95 species yesterday, Sept. 30. Other highlights include 14 species of shorebirds, including Baird’s and White-rumped Sandpiper, and Stilt Sandpiper. All eight species of woodpeckers were observed; Red-cockaded, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Pileated, Northern Flicker, Hairy, Downy, Red-bellied, and Red-headed. Two military helicopters flew over the impoundments at the ICW and flushed hundreds of wading birds, including 57 Roseate Spoonbills and at least 200 Wood Storks, a phenomenal sight! Eleven species of warblers were observed, most notably a Nashville Warbler at the Washo Reserve. A Clay-colored Sparrow was observed near the beginning of the first impoundment on the Cape Trail and we thought we had s LeConte’s Sprarrow there as well, but we never could relocate the birds. One Bachman’s Sparrow was observed and photographed on Santee Gun Club Rd. near Mazyck Rd. Six species of terns were observed, and several Peregrine Falcons and Merlins were observed. A Peregrine flushed all of the shorebirds, including the Ruff, but hopefully they will return. A Merlin chased a Caspian Tern and Anhinga right above us.

Thanks to Pam Ford, Ed and Marcy Blitch, Jeff Click, Jay Chandler, Richard Hayes and the many other new folks I met, and other participants, to make these three days some of the best birding experiences I’ve had recently. Santee Coastal Reserve is a true gem. All three checklists are on eBird.

Craig Watson
Mount Pleasant, SC.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avast.com_antivirus&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=9ebsXyObEpZlq-cwi5xJshZi6MmOxce3q0kXSaBUYnI&s=mgfpS6LaF48Gc6U2tCJJPQDxdWaBN1WPxz8IfIPFQYw&e=

Join us on Facebook!