Date: 9/30/17 10:40 pm
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Red-breasted Sapsucker
Hi Linda - your question about well clustering prompted me to do some modern-style research (aka googling 😊). I came across an article by Laurie Eberhardt at Valparaiso University, that stated that sapsuckers tend to drill their holes one at a time with about 3 days between holes, at about 7 meters high, and within about 1 meter of a branch. They drill the holes in a vertical sequence starting at the bottom of a vertical string, working their way upwards one hole at a time, shifting over to a new vertical sequence at some point. The reason for drilling in that order, as speculated/hypothesized by the author, seems to be that sap dripping from the newest hole then tends to be captured by bark and older holes underneath the current hole, making it easier for the bird to catch it on a later visit.

Given that the holes in the cluster seem to get drilled over quite an extended period (about 1 new hole every 3.1 days), it may take weeks or even months for a full new cluster with a few dozen holes. That would makes it less likely in my mind for it to be related to a reaction of the tree to the drilling of a hole or holes.

But I'm no biologist or sapsucker expert, so take my musings with a big sack of salt 😊.

Good birding.

--
Nagi Aboulenein