Date: 9/30/17 7:24 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [COBOL] Plan ECAS Wednesday Birding, Oct 4th
All day, Green Ridge for the Raptor Migration Count. This will be an
official count day with David Vick, Kim Boddie and possibly also Erik
Jensen to help with spotting, identification and recording. This is a
great way to learn how to identify raptors in flight, not the same as a
perched bird. Helps to have many spotters. Bonus birds, good numbers of
passerines are still going through and visible from the hawk site. Bring
a lightweight chair, scope if you have it, your own personal supplies
for bathroom needs as there is no porta-potty this year. Being exposed
enough to see raptors coming from a distance means you will be at higher
elevation and feel some wind so wear layers including wind pants, fleece
plus a windbreaker, cap, gloves etc. If you can stay warm you will want
to stay for the whole show! It is about 1/4 mile on a trail to the site.

If you don't plan to stay for the full day, carpool accordingly. Here is
the link from the ECAS site with explanation, directions, etc.

http://www.ecaudubon.org/green-ridge---raptor-migration

Carpooling
Bend, 7 a.m. from Nancy P's Bakery, and go to Village Greens to meet the
group.
Redmond, 7:15 Starbucks, Nolan Center and go to Village Greens to meet
the group.
Sisters, 7:40 at Village Greens.

I won't make this one but wish I could be there. I expect an out of town
experienced birder to join the Bend people carpooling from Nancy P's.
THE FOLLOWING WEEK, our start time moves to 8 a.m. Judy Meredith,
<jmeredit...>