Date: 9/30/17 7:13 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (30 Sep 2017) 33 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 33 11413 11422

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Dale Kendall, Kathleen Pileggi, Lorrie Sherron

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Kathleen Pileggi, Gary Stolz, Lorrie Sherron, Dale Kendall,
Kathleen Rengert
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Sunny - Mostly Cloudy (50-100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000-7,300
ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 57 - 66F, Winds NW @ 10 - 20 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle, -Cooper's
Hawk, 2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (70) and
Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-5
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Sixty? It’s the New Thirty!?”---

It’s my birthday! Gotta have something terrific come by, right? So, what
will it be? Kathleen was here before me, having decorated the site using
those lovely Mylar balloons with an appropriate number upon them.
Yesterday’s group of Sandhill Cranes heading our way would have sufficed,
but as Mike pointed out, I got the details wrong. They were seen at Ashton
Tract, not Ashland Hawk Watch. Speed reading must be matched with
speed-cognition. A problem of mine…

Lorrie showed up, and with her brought her usual good luck. Special
friend, Dale arrived, her hands cluttered with birthday cake, cookies and
cupcakes – the three “c’s!” Oh, and lunch - a tuna sandwich. Thanks, Dale
– I love you! Now, that’s the kind of “ground clutter” I like to see on my
radar! (That radar reference is for you, Holly “Little Blip”) A brisk
northerly wind today had a bite to it we weren’t used to yet; driving Dale
home early and me into my fleece sweater/jacket. I’d better toughen up a
bit as November is looming.

Kathleen was here with a new series of pictures to share from Heinz Refuge
– a nice Black-throated Green Warbler and Marsh Wren, among them. In the
end, there was nothing special “bird-wise” for my birthday. Thanks for the
special touches Kathleen and Dale… and there’s always next year, right?
And I figure my numbers today were about half of what I’d have liked them
to be. With that ratio in mind, 60 becomes a thirty….no problem….

Folks, please cherish your parents – all your loved ones, especially when
they have their full capacities. My mom, the absolute bedrock of my life,
forgot my birthday, her cognitive abilities diminished in recent years. It
is tearing my heart out… as I write this late at night…
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Great Blue Heron, 1-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 1-Palm Warbler.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (13): Monarch - 12, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Variegated
Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem, Red Admiral. Dragonflies (2):
Green Darner, Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (1):
Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.42; Steps: 15,054; Floors:
48.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 44; this season: 115
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks about cloudless, with less wind.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek