Date: 9/30/17 7:14 pm
From: mjabdy via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Goldfinch question - can't use legs
I live in rural wooded lot in Sharpsburg, MD. Over the past month or so we've noticed at least three goldfinches (two males and one female) that have had minimal use of their legs and the fly very erratically. Essentially they are landing under our feeder and using their wings to get around - sitting on their belly. And when they try to perch, they have very little control and sorta flop onto the branch. We don't use any pesticides or insecticides on our property; we also change seed regularly and no obvious contaminated food source. Other birds using the feeder appear normal (except the occasional mycoplamsa infected house finch). Anyone else noticing this?