Date: 9/30/17 7:03 pm
Subject: Common Ground Dove in Wilson, NC
I was very surprised when I encountered what I think must have been a common ground dove when I was walking the dog this evening at 6:45 pm. It was right beside the sidewalk about five feet from me when I noticed it. I noticed the short rounded tail immediately and realized it wasn't a mourning dove. It flew a few seconds after I saw to an adjacent yard and as I moved closer it flew again. The short rounded tail was noted again as it flew. I did not see any obvious white patches or color contrasts. Seemed similar in color to mourning dove, maybe a little browner.
I checked ebird and this may be the only sighting in NC in some time but I don't see what else it could have been. Perhaps the recent hurricanes have blown it further inland and north.

Ann Brice
Wilson, NC

Join us on Facebook!