Date: 9/30/17 7:01 pm
From: Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...>
Subject: [obol] Re: mystery call, Cape Lookout State Park
Hi Bonnie,

Definitely juvenile Great Horned Owls. I have them in my backyard in
Manzanita and have seen them making these calls.

Here's a Sound Cloud recording I did one night of several calling back and
forth. It gets louder towards the end (at 1:54 on the tape) as the owl was
right above me about 10 feet away.

https://soundcloud.com/user-53533135/great-horned-owl-juveniles-calling-in-backyard-7-29-16

Nice that you could hear them.

Best, Beverly

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Bonnie Comegys <blcomegys...> wrote:

> thanks, just listened to some recordings of Great Horned Owl juveniles,
> sounds like that's what they are, now I recall heard one a couple years
> back but not so frequently through the night! scanned the trees with my
> weak flashlight, but could not see the caller.
>

> Bonnie
>

> On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Barbara Millikan <
> <barbara.millikan...> wrote:
>
>> Young great horned owl. maybe? I have heard them make that noise before
>> fully grown.

>> www.avg.com
>> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
>> <#m_-8638396814068169799_m_-27548558612797207_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 6:36 PM, Bonnie Comegys <blcomegys...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> for the last two nights, while camped at Cape Lookout State Park, heard
>>> intermittently through the night (before the rain) a mystery caller in the
>>> trees above campsite, sometimes was calling at about 10 second intervals.
>>> think is likely a bird? suppose could be something else, but what, any
>>> ideas? first night seemed to be one vocalizer, then last night sounded like
>>> at least two, started just after got dark, so recorded a few audio/videos
>>> with the last of battery power. the bright light in some videos is the
>>> first quarter moon behind trees, and there is background ocean waves and
>>> some camping neighbor sounds.
>>>
>>> also there were hundreds of Brown Pelicans this past week at Cape
>>> Disappointment and Cape Lookout, was extraordinarily warm midweek at the
>>> coast.
>>>
>>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/wr4CrNSWshIz4T7F2
>>>
>>> Bonnie Comegys
>>> blcomegys AT gmail.com