Date: 9/30/17 6:21 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Gillson Park Fall Lake Watch #5 Saturday 9-30-17
Hello Bird People,

The east winds today were the strongest of all my lake watches so far
this Fall but in spite of that no overly exciting birds were seen by
me & Rich DeCoster who was also present.

The usual D.C. Cormorants, Canada Geese & Herring Gulls flew by & the
usual Ring Billed Gulls (67), Crows (5) & Starlings (8) were on the
beach.

The only migrants were one PEREGRINE which stayed long enough to flush
all the Gulls off the beach into the lake & then briefly chased 2
Gulls over the water before flying away, 8 Sanderlings which landed on
the beach but were immediately flushed by the hordes of walkers,
joggers & dogs & finally one molting adult FORSTER'S TERN which flew
in hunting from the north & then landed & stayed on the beach with all
the Ring Billed Gulls. Also picked out by Rich was a flock of about 8
Wood Ducks flying south. Seen by me but not I.D.'ed were 3 ducks & 2
small shorebirds which flew by too far away over the lake to work
with.

Not up to the level of yesterday's Ibis flock but Bird-Of-The-Day for
today goes to the orange legged, partially masked Forster's Tern &
Runner-Up to the Gull chasing Peregrine. Best I could do today.

Al Stokie
Along the Wilmette (Cook County) lake front today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: