Date: 9/30/17 5:41 pm
From: Scott Priebe via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] [va-bird] Leesylvania SP, Prince William Co.
A Warbler-palooza at Leesylvania today. Did my usual route at Leesylvania this morning, picnic area-gun battery-ridge line- ruins meadow-vistor center-overflow parking-Bushey Pt. The gun battery wasn't very birdy, but did have 6 Blackpoll W. and a Palm W. there. I arrived at the meadow about 7:45, and the action was already underway. Ran into Russ Taylor and Phil Kenny here. Many warblers in the tick seed and paw-paw as well as up in the ash trees. Ended here at about 9 AM. Not much activity anywhere else; only a couple of warblers at Bushey Pt. Highlight here were 2 Greater Yellowlegs flying along the shore towards the trestle, a first for me at Leesylvania. Around 10:45 after running into Russ and Phil again, I decided to go back to the gun battery (picked up the lone Yellow-rump here) and a few other warblers, and then the meadow between 11:15 and 12:10. Most of the warblers were down in the tick seed. I spent most of the time back in the trees at the SW corner of the me
adow. A steady stream of warblers (mostly N. Parula and Magnolia, reported numbers are conservative) were foraging through the tick seed then moving off into the trees towards the visitor center. Almost like the corner of the meadow was acting like a funnel. At one point I had three Tennessee W. in view at the same time, and another time, two Nashville W. in view. I have no idea if the warblers I saw earlier in the morning and late morning were the same or not, so I present the ranges below along with the two eBird checklists. So, I was able to ID at least 56 individual warblers and perhaps as many as 81. There were a substantial number I failed to ID.

Scott D. Priebe
Springfield, VA

http://ebird.org/ebird/va/view/checklist/S39482236
http://ebird.org/ebird/va/view/checklist/S39482503

Species: 50

Mallard 2
Mourning Dove 3
Greater Yellowlegs 2
Laughing Gull 7
Ring-billed Gull 6
Forster's Tern 2
Double-crested Cormorant 6
Great Blue Heron 3
Great Egret 1 (Neabsco Creek inlet)
Black Vulture 2
Turkey Vulture 8
Bald Eagle 6-8 (2 adult pairs seen flying high overhead, at differen times, may or may not have been the same pair)
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Belted Kingfisher 1