Date: 9/30/17 3:58 pm
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Malheur HQ Scrub Jay
If it sounded like a “typical” Scrub-Jay, it was no doubt a California. Woodhouse’s have a considerably higher pitched call. They will show almost no necklace effect on the breast and have blue undertail coverts. The blue on the back isn’t as bright and the bill is straighter, but those are often hard to detect in the field. California Scrub-Jays are expanding their range within the last five years. Here’s an eBird map showing sightings in Eastern Oregon over that time.

The first Scrub-Jay recorded on the Bend CBC was in 1991. And as recently as 1997 it was a rare bird here. This state-wide expansion has occurred in the last 20 years.

Tom Crabtree, Bend