Date: 9/30/17 10:20 am
From: Lynette Leka <lynetteleka...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] a bird--leaf bathing
I've enjoyed watching hummingbirds do that during a rain in the neotropics

------------------------------------

Lynette Leka
Newbury, MA 01951
email: <lynette.leka...>

On Sat, 9/30/17, David Gibson <20cabot...> wrote:

Subject: [MASSBIRD] a bird--leaf bathing
To: "VA-BIRD" <va-bird...>
Cc: <massbird...>
Date: Saturday, September 30, 2017, 11:52 AM

I wonder if anyone
has ever witnessed a bird bathing on either a single or
compound leaf. Today I lead a trip at Paradise Creek Nature
Park in Portsmouth, VA. While scouting at around 7 am
(everything was drenched with dew), I looked up and saw from
under a large leaf what I thought was a butterfly caught on
a leaf. I could see and hear the fluttering. It turns out
whatever it was had a beak and a tail. It was a N. Parula
taking a bath! I caught the bird with my binocs as it left,
and the bird, too, was drenched with dew. It had clearly
been bathing. I've now added this to my mental list of
interesting things I've seen birds do.
Dave Gibson, Chesapeake, VA

Join us on Facebook!