Date: 9/30/17 10:00 am
From: Catherine Fisher <catherineckx...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] a bird--leaf bathing
Hi David,

I'm pasting a post I made to NHBirders on May 5 of this year:

On Allen;s Ave., Lee, NH:

Behavior I've not seen before. It's just started to rain and the leaves of
the rhododendron outside our kitchen window are spattered with large water
drops. A male r. t. hummer has gone from leaf to leaf, rubbing his breast
and belly onto the wet and then making sluicing motions with his wings. A
second or two is all it takes to use up the water supply on the leaf, and
then he moves onto the next. It took 9 leaves to complete his ablutions.

Good birding!

Catherine

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 11:52 AM, David Gibson <20cabot...> wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has ever witnessed a bird bathing on either a single or
> compound leaf. Today I lead a trip at Paradise Creek Nature Park in
> Portsmouth, VA. While scouting at around 7 am (everything was drenched with
> dew), I looked up and saw from under a large leaf what I thought was a
> butterfly caught on a leaf. I could see and hear the fluttering. It turns
> out whatever it was had a beak and a tail. It was a N. Parula taking a
> bath! I caught the bird with my binocs as it left, and the bird, too, was
> drenched with dew. It had clearly been bathing. I've now added this to my
> mental list of interesting things I've seen birds do.
> Dave Gibson, Chesapeake, VA

Join us on Facebook!