Date: 9/30/17 7:00 am
From: Stephen Johnson via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Sedge Wren - Reston

Lynn and I re-found the Sedge Wren this morning (Saturday). We heard it sing for a couple of minutes. Then it briefly popped up, and one of us got a glimpse of a very small wren-like brown bird. That was it, no other sight or sound during our 45-minute vigil. I'm pretty sure we heard the right vocalization, not Marsh or House Wren.

The exact location we found it was a short distance downhill (that is, North) from the bee hive colony boxes that Dave mentioned. Those two boxes are just downhill from the community gardens, along the West side of the gasline clear-cut which runs roughly North-South, parallel to and East of Wiehle Avenue. There is a creek at the base of the hill running East-West from the dam (the road runs along the top of the dam). The location where we found the bird was on the North-facing hill, South of that creek, on the West side of the hill (i.e., the side towards Wiehle).

I believe that is the same location Dave described (below).

Before you chase this bird, I recommend 3 things. (1) Patience. This is not a drive-by, quick stop bird to find. (2) Hip waders. The field is heavily overgrown. Even with hip boots, wading through the field, we picked up hundreds of clinging seeds and quite a few bramble needles. (3) Calm wind. We heard the bird during a relatively quiet time, wind-wise. The dry leaves in the trees there make a lot of rattle.

From the community gardens parking area, you could save a few steps in the overgrown gasline cut (field), by either walking North along Wiehle and cutting E through the woods, before you reach the dam; or else, just walk through the woods, North and parallel to the field. We did not try parking at the Church; the bird was on the "far" side (West) of the field, from the church.

Thanks to Dave Young for finding and reporting this bird!!

Steve Johnson & Lynn Rafferty
Fairfax, Virginia