Date: 9/29/17 10:28 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Glacial Park, Walmart Ponds & Lippold Park Friday 9-29-17
Hello Bird People,

Saw on Ebird that 6 White Faced Ibis were seen at Glacial Park on
Thursday but no info as to where to look was given. 1st I looked at
the main wetlands from the Power House overlook but the water was too
high for shorebirds & shorebirds were mentioned as being with the Ibis
gang. Next I looked at the small pond at the west end of the park
where you turn left from Hart Rd & end up at a small parking lot. But
no birds at all in that pond. Now what? Then I remembered that there's
a stream system to the west but that's a large area & a long way to
carry a scope without knowing just where to look. Decided I needed an
overview of that whole area so I drove in to the Lost Valley
Nature/Visitor Center building, walked west just past the building &
looked to the N.W. & there were all 6 Ibis & their shorebird friends.
With the scope I could see that they were all "Dark Ibis" but that's
all I could say. Needed a better (closer) look.

I walked the exit road from the parking lot (a one way road) about 100
yards & turned left (west) along a grassy pathway that goes right to
the Ibis pond. There you can see all the birds well but don't get too
close as the birds may flush. Do NOT try & drive there as there's no
parking & the park folks made one driver move his car & leave. It
might be better to walk the gated road rather than the grassy path as
you will give the birds a little more space that way. Here's what I
saw:

In the water were Mallard (3), Shoveler (3) & B.W. Teal (8-10)
Volunteer Dave M added Green Wing Teal but I missed them.
Flying by were Turkey Vulture (2), Osprey (1), Sandhill Crane (2) &
Ring Billed Gull (1)
Feeding in the shallow areas were Killdeer (4), Greater (1) & Lesser
(7) Yellowlegs & Snipe (6-7)
Also there were the 6 Ibis all of which are either young birds or at
least not in breeding plumage.
Therefore the only way to I.D. them is by eye color but all eyes just
look "dark" from a distance.
But if you stare at them long enough (took 15 min) & wait until the
sunlight hits their faces just right you will see that some of them
will show the bright red eye color. I was able to see that red color
on 2 or 3 of the Ibis but my guess is that all 6 are the same. Let me
say again that it may take a while to see that red eye color but it's
there on at least 2-3 of them & probably all 6.
And remember DON'T FLUSH THESE BIRDS!

A quick stop at the Walmart Ponds found the water too high for
anything but Canada Geese, Mallards, Wood Duck (2) & 1 Coot. A
slightly longer stop at Lippold Park also found water too high for
shorebirds but just right for many ducks (4 species) & geese plus
Great Egrets & Cormorants.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Ibis gang & Runners-Up to the Osprey & the
calling Sandhill Cranes

Al Stokie
In McHenry County today finding the Ibis hide-a-way

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: