Date: 9/29/17 8:47 pm
From: Joan Lentz <joanlentz...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] today at the Bella Vista Dr. hawkwatch
Hi All: Today I spent an hour up on Bella Vista Dr. in Montecito. I was rewarded with the sight of 4 BROAD-WINGED HAWKS soaring high above the ridge of the Santa Ynez Mountains. This occurred at just after 4 pm, when Brad Hacker, who was up on the Romero Canyon fire road above and to the west, had seen 3 of these same hawks pass by. And we both saw the two ravens that preceded them! So, if you have the energy you should hike up the fire road for an eye level view.
However, if you are standing at the place that Eric Culbertson discovered, 2745 Bella Vista Dr., I wanted to let you know that there are some protocol issues here. You will be parking on a gravel verge next to a gray concrete wall. Behind that wall is a gorgeous house and guest house, in fact there are 3 gates to this place, 2745 is the middle one.
As I was hanging out there this afternoon, I saw a couple drive in with a bike on the top of the car. I surmised they are weekend residents. Shortly after, a very fit older guy rode out of the far driveway (signed as 2755) & passed me and then rode into the “service entrance” gate, so he’s the owner. He asked what I was doing & I said watching for hawks and he seemed to have no problem with it. BUT, PLEASE be quiet, respectful, & very friendly if he should reappear this weekend. We can’t lose this terrific viewing spot! Eric has found this place where you can see the top of the ridge (where the hawks fly over from the north) and you can also see the eastern flank of the SY Mountains as they stretch past Summerland towards Carp. So, it’s a strategic place, and yet it’s right outside this guy’s gray concrete wall.
Just sayin’ — let’s be super aware of not losing this great hawk watching place, when we are still learning the movements of raptors here in SB county.
Thanks heaps,

Joan Lentz

------------------------------------
Posted by: Joan Lentz <joanlentz...>