Date: 9/29/17 5:29 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Carter Hill Observatory (29 Sep 2017) 49 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 3 3
Unknown Eagle 0 2 2
Unknown Raptor 0 27 27

Total: 49 4647 4647

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Ken Klapper

Observers: Cliff Otto, Ken Bednars, Steve Bennett, Susan Wrisley,
Tom McShane

Visitors:
One hundred and seventy-six including visitors from North Carolina, Iowa,
Kansas, Florida, and New Jersey.

Weather:
Sunny, moderately breezy (a bit windier than expected in the morning) but
with morning clouds for spotting birds, gradually diminishing during the
day. Temps from the low 50's to the mid 60's.

Raptor Observations:
The first decent migrant kettle of Turkey Vultures was counted today.
Accipiter numbers were still a bit low (though better than yesterday) given
more-or-less "ideal" conditions. An adult Peregrine seen late morning was
a nice addition. Several non-migrant Bald Eagles, including a four year
old, and adult, and an unknown age bird were seen moving north.

Non-raptor Observations:
An influx of migrant songbirds included several Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Cape
May and Magnolia Warblers. A flock of eight shorebirds caught me offguard
and away from my scope while I was updating daily totals on the whiteboard.
Just over a grand for Canada Geese (1044), a "kettle" of ten Ring-billed
Gulls and 15 Monarchs.

Predictions:
Hmmm... morning showers, but cloudy in the afternoon with NE winds. Maybe
a push of Osprey... and possibly more?
Report submitted by Ken Klapper (<kklapper...>)
Carter Hill Observatory information may be found at:
www.nhaudubon.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=679