Date: 9/29/17 4:45 pm
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: ASCA Upcoming Field Trips
Details about the October and November field trips, sponsored by the Audubon Society of Central Arkansas (ASCA), are listed below.  Feel free to join us.  You don't have to be an ASCA member.  You just have to like birds and people.
Following the Frog Bayou trip, for those who are interested in trying for the Red Crossbills at Shores Lake, I will lead a group up there.  It is about 30 minutes from Frog to Shores Lake.  If you do this extension, it will be late afternoon before you'll get back to Little Rock.
If you have questions about any of the trips, please feel free to contact me off-list.Karen HollidayASCA Field Trip CoordinatorLittle Rock
 October7FrogBayou WMA—Dyer (Crawford Co.)Meet at 7:00 a.m. at the Mayflower commuterlot located at Exit 135 off I-40 West. Frog Bayou WMA is one of Arkansas’ newest AGFC wildlife managementareas, established in 2005, and has undergone recent significant improvementsmaking it more bird-friendly.  This formerfarmland is now a wetland restoration area targeting migratory waterfowl.  Secretive marsh birds like rails, Soras, andAmerican Bittern are found here.  Avariety of wading birds such as herons, egrets, ibis, night-herons, andlingering shorebirds will also be present. Walking will be on unpaved, level paths. Bring boots or sturdy walking shoes.  If time allows, we’llcheck the Alma Sewage Treatment ponds for Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks.  Bring water, snacks, and lunch.  We’ll return to Little Rock by lateafternoon. For those in western Arkansas who would liketo join us, meet our group at 8:45 a.m. at the Phillips 66 Kountry Xpress TruckStop located at Dyer Exit 20 on the south side of I-40.  The truck stop is on your right just beforethe Hwy. 64 intersection.  Breakfast andlunch buffets are available at the truck stop. November 18DeGray Lake Resort StatePark—ArkadelphiaThe fallconference of the Arkansas Audubon Society (AAS) is being held at Ferncliff inWest Little Rock Nov. 17-19.  This tripis one of the Saturday conference field trips and will be a joint ASCA/AAStrip.  We’ll meet at 7:30 a.m. in thecommuter lot at I-430/I-630 off Shackleford Road in Little Rock.  We’ll arrive around 8:45 a.m. at the park’sLodge for anyone who would like to meet us there.  Our target birds will be eagles, loons,ducks, mergansers, grebes, and gulls. Dress warm, the lake can be windy and cold.  Hats and gloves are recommended.  Bring scope, water, and snacks.  You can bring lunch or eat in the Lodge’srestaurant. Addressfor the park is:  2027 State ParkEntrance Road - Bismarck, Arkansas 71929. GPS coordinates are 34.24562, -93.14840. Go to www.degray.com for more information about the park.

Join us on Facebook!