Date: 9/29/17 2:46 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (29 Sep 2017) 31 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 31 11380 11389

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Bob Strahorn, Carol Majors, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Carol Majors, Ron Majors, Kathleen Pileggi, Bob Strahorn,
Carolyn Holland.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny-Partly Cloudy (10-75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 57 - 70F, Winds NW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
3-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (70) and
Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Where’d They Go?”---

From Ashland, came news early this morning of eleven Sandhill Cranes and
they were heading our direction, calling constantly. Well, they didn’t
make it over here…we looked hard! Figures!! What did make it here today
were our first Yellow-rumped Warblers, Winter Wren, Savannah Sparrows and
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

On this morning’s warbler walk Carol and Ron had Redstarts, Magnolia
Warblers, Black-throated Green Warblers and Ruby-crowned Kinglets. (CM1)
When we joined up we found much of the same in warbler meadow.

A spectacular “sun dog” was in the mix of clouds and sun this morning.
From there, the background sky developed nicely, but provided not many
raptors.

Several days ago, I listened to Kathleen’s interesting story of a Great
Blue Heron seen high up upon one of our upland meadow trails – no water to
be found. I missed it, as I had to be at the Watch. Well today, what
certainly must be the same adventurous Heron, was at the trails at The
Watch! He was right here!! How nice is that?
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Great Blue Heron, 1-Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 1-Winter Wren,
4-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 2-Magnolia Warbler, 2-Yellow-rumped Warbler,
3-Black-throated Green Warbler, 6-American Redstart, 1-Palm Warbler,
1-Savannah Sparrow, 1-Rose-breasted Grosbeak, 1-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (12): Monarch - 25, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Variegated
Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner,
Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): Eastern
Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.8; Steps: 13,549; Floors: 28.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 55; this season: 115
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (4):” Winter
Wren, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Savannah Sparrow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks a lot like today's pleasant day, although a bit
cooler and breezier.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: