Date: 9/29/17 12:14 pm
From: 'Bailey, Steven D' <sdbailey...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re:Laughing Gull too (Re: IBET Sabine's Gull, Emiquon)
Sorry I didn't post this earlier. I stopped by Emiquon this past Tuesday (the 26th), and with a little help (Thanks OSPRY), saw what was apparently the sole remaining WESTERN GREBE. It was not out from the main overlook platform where others had been seeing the 2-3 Western Grebes, but instead was towards the opposite (south) end of Thompson Lake, out from a pull-off on the east side of Rt. 78/97 (where an old road goes down to the edge of lake). I also saw 3 WILSON'S SNIPE and a MARSH WREN down in the cattails where I was observing the Western Grebe. I also observed the 2nd cycle LAUGHING GULL, along with at least 3,000 AMERICAN COOTS, 1,500 AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS, and at least 75 NORTHERN PINTAIL (at the overlook "marsh").
Besides the 650+ AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS at Big Lake (Brown County), there were few highlights, though I did see a WILSON'S PHALAROPE, in with both species of yellowlegs and 25+ other common peeps. I also saw and heard 5 INDIGO BUNTINGS, several COMMON YELLOWTHROATS, 3 RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS (in direct, steady flight heading south, apparently migrating) and a GREEN HERON. There were another 750+ AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS in yjr large backwater "lake" on the west side of the Illinois River, south of US Rt. 67, from the Beardstown Bridge.
The day before (the 25th), there was an AMERICAN AVOCET way out from the north side of the cross-dike, with possibly 1-200 other shorebirds & 500+ teal. Good birding!

Steve Bailey
Mundelein (Lake Co.)
<sdbailey...>

Join us on Facebook!