Date: 9/29/17 7:53 am
From: Percy, Katie <kpercy...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] BRAS Presentation Thurs, Oct 26th
The next Baton Rouge Audubon Society presentation will be the LAST Thursday in October (the 26th). Michael Seymour, Nongame Ornithologist with the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, will present on the relatively new, and ever-expanding, Motus Wildlife Tracking System<https://motus.org/>.

In 2012, Bird Studies Canada helped launch the Motus Wildlife Tracking System, a network of VHF receiver stations that are able to detect and log codes from tiny, radio tags (nanotags) attached to birds and other organisms. Recognizing a significant coverage gap on the Northern Gulf of Mexico coastline, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, the Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program, and the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Foundation partnered in 2016 to construct and maintain fifteen VHF receiver stations along the Louisiana coast. In 2017, the project obtained a grant from ConocoPhillips that will allow the capacity of Louisiana's VHF receiver station (SPDOR) network to more than double, effectively creating a digital fence of detection along our coast.

Michael will discuss the latest technology that has made this major advance possible, the state of our current network and its projected footprint for 2018, and the most up-to-date detections from the Louisiana stations.

Presentation title: "Casting a Net for Bird Movements: Louisiana's SPDOR VHF Network for Wildlife Tracking"

Date: Thursday, October 26th

Time: 7:00 - 8:00 PM; Refreshments offered 6:45 - 7:00 PM

Location: BREC's Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center's *Education Building*

10533 N. Glenstone Place, Baton Rouge, LA 70810

*Please note that the location is NOT the Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center. It is the Education Building, which is located on the back corner of N. Glenstone Place, a U-shaped street off of Bluebonnet Blvd. The Education Building has a swamp mural painted on the front.

Please RSVP if you plan on attending (<kpercy...><mailto:<kpercy...>) so that I can add your name to the guest list.

Thank you,
Katie Percy
<kpercy...><mailto:<kpercy...>

Join us on Facebook!