Date: 9/29/17 7:02 am
From: Jerry McWilliams <0000001b5c226889-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Gull Point access
I just got word at a meeting with park officials yesterday, that access to Gull Point is now permissible. About 30% of the trail itself is not passable (the first part or west end from Beach 10 parking lot), so you need to walk the outer beach until you reach the trail again. There is some negotiating over and around brush piles and log jams in a couple of places in the first part of the walk. When the lake is calm you can actually walk out to the observation deck in sneakers. When the lake is rough, wave action may splash water up to your shins at the places where you have to climb over around log jams. After you reach the trail again there are some damp or muddy spots in the trail, but I was able to get around them in sneakers without getting muddy feet.

Except for the log jams and brush piles, walking out to the point is not that bad, and is actually a little shorter walk than before, at least for now. However, storms may change all that in the next couple of months. It's hard to tell whether there will be access to Gull Point next year considering the condition of the trail right now.

Good birding,

Jerry

Join us on Facebook!