Date: 9/28/17 8:37 pm
From: Eric Culbertson <ebc101...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Broad-winged Hawks
All,

A total of six Broad-winged Hawk were seen from the eastern end of Bella Vista Drive in upper Montecito (2745 Bella Vista Dr) and from Romero fire road immediately above Bella Vista Drive this evening September 28th. I had decided to make the 25 minute walk from Romero Trail head to an overlook along the fire road several hundred feet above my usual spot along Bella Vista Drive. Arriving just before 4pm I had a Broad-winged Hawk nearly at eye level as it soared with a Sharp-shined Hawk along the fire road. Roughly thirty minutes later I watched three more Broad-winged Hawk descend toward me from the west. These birds soared for a few moments low enough over my head that I could identify them without binoculars! At the same time Joan Lentz had arrived along Bella Vista Drive and I called her and she got on two of the three Broad-wings as they headed east. A little later Joan had two more Broad-wings that I completely missed from my vantage point. It sounded like these birds had moved past Joan and below her, only being spotted as they moved east and into her view. All birds were light juveniles. We also had a combined six Sharp-shined Hawk.

Eric Culbertson
Carpinteria
Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!