Date: 9/28/17 8:10 pm
From: Jim Forde <jimforde...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Little Gull, Avocets, Ibis in Marion, Jasper Co.
This morning Franklin's Gulls covered much of Lake Red Rock so finding a rare gull was like looking for a needle in a
haystack. But I got lucky at Whitebreast's beach where I happened upon 47! AMERICAN AVOCETS and while trying to count
them, mixed among the gulls, a LITTLE GULL dropped in. It stayed only for a few minutes but I could see it was of juvenile
plumage in transition to first winter. I was unable to relocate it even after much scoping.

Later in the afternoon I stopped at Rock Creek SP and spotted a PLEGADIS IBIS in the marsh on the north side of
highway F-27. It had brown eyes but not the facial skin of a Glossy so I favored White-faced juv./1st winter. It didn't
give me much close scoping as it soon moved deeper into the marsh. I think it found me too near.

Jim Forde
Cedar Rapids