Date: 9/28/17 7:49 pm
From: <rlshonkw...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET JxP: Black-throated Blue Warbler, Pine Siskins and other wildlife
Since I had the morning off and the winds were northwest overnight I decided to bird the Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow area of Chicago's Jackson Park today. There weren't as many birds as Tuesday but there was still decent diversity with several new late season arrivals: YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS, BROWN CREEPERS, GOLDEN-CROWNED and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, HERMIT THRUSHES, DARK-EYED JUNCOS, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS. Best spot was northwest of the Music Court Bridge where, among other species, I found a male BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER, an immature RED-HEADED WOODPECKER and ~4 PINE SISKINS. A PINE WARBLER was feeding on the ground with a family of E. BLUEBIRDS and some PALM WARBLERS by the softball field east of the soccer fields.
The highlights of the day were non-avian. While looking for birds and butterflies in what used to be the rose garden on Wooded Island I noticed some movement in the weeds of an animal with light colored hair. I thought it was a possum but when I looked with my binocular I realized it was the fur of a COYOTE'S belly. It appeared to be napping and seemed unaware of my presence even though I was fairly close. I wanted to get some photos but its head was hidden by the weeds. I moved 4 feet to the right for a better shot. It raised its head but didn't look in my direction allowing a decent shot. I don't think it saw me until I moved away. There was a decent number of butterflies in the park. I found a lifer COMMON CHECKERED-SKIPPER in Bobolink Meadow east of the path. Right along the path was a GRAY HAIRSTREAK my second of the year but only my third in my lifetime. All three Gray Hairstreaks that I've seen have been along the path in Bobolink Meadow in along about a ten foot stretch but each on different flowers. A YELLOW-COLLARED SCAPE MOTH was on the same plant as the hairstreak. My full list of butterflies, moths and birds is below.
Butterflies:
Cabbage White: 7
Clouded Sulphur: 2
Orange Sulphur: 13
Gray Hairstreak: 1
Variegated Fritillary: 1
Pearl Crescent: 19
Painted Lady: 2
Common Buckeye: 5
Monarch: 12
Common Checkered-Skipper: 1
Fiery Skipper: 30
Sachem: 2
Peck's Skipper: 1
Tawny-edged Skipper: 1
Moths:
Lucerne Moth (Nomophila nearctica): 1
Yellow-collard Scape Moth (Cisseps fulvicollis): 1
Ni Moth (Trichoplusia ni): 1 (maybe 2 feeding at butterfly bush)
Birds:
Canada Goose: 165
Wood Duck: 8
Mallard: 11