Date: 9/28/17 6:27 pm
From: Aaron Maizlish <aaron.maizlish...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Sora and Virginia Rail
SF Birders,

They aren't rare perhaps, but they were out in the open, so that's
newsworthy I guess.

I stopped by the east side of the Lake Merced Concrete bridge this evening
(9/28) from 4:45 to 5:30 - as I often do during peak migration. A large
number of Yellow Warblers continue around the trees below the Bufano
Penguin Statue and around the east side of the bridge. They've been there
for several weeks now, perhaps 20-30. I don't know if its my imagination
but they seem to be getting duller over the past few weeks - though there
are a few bright ones. No rarities this evening, though there was a very
handsome Black-Throated Gray Warbler flitting about.

This fall the north side of the concrete bridge has a larger exposed area
of mud and standing water inside the reeds than I have ever seen in the
past. It's actually a great spot for Rail spotting. In about ten minutes
I was able to catch a VIRGINIA RAIL out in the open and a SORA out in the
open. Good opportunity for some photography of these notorious skulkers,
especially I imagine early or late in the day.

Sora: https://flic.kr/p/BRfikY

Slightly out of focus Virginia Rail: https://flic.kr/p/YyBL4b

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco