Date: 9/28/17 3:31 pm
From: ed mcv <ed.mcvicker...>
Subject: [obol] Re: American Dipper at Japanese Gardens
Hi Polly

I volunteer weekly at the garden. I'd describe dippers as uncommon
visitors to the upper pond at PJG mostly in the winter. During morning
member hours or in the early evening when it is not overrun with visitors
is when I've noticed them.

Thanks for reporting your sighting.

Ed McVicker
SW Portland

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Polly Alexander <pollysalexander...>
wrote:

> My partner, who considers himself a bird lover but not a birder, was at
> the Japanese Gardens yesterday evening and watched a Dipper hop around on
> some rocks in the large pond that you first encounter while entering the
> gardens (standing on the main bridge, look to your right). Although he's
> "not a birder", he has seen Dippers before and he was confidently reporting
> back to me his identification. He also watched it dive into the water
> several times. I don't remember seeing any reports before for a Dipper at
> this location, but maybe being a relatively new transplant and follower of
> OBOL, I have just missed it.
>
> We're heading back this evening in hopes of seeing it again.
>
> Polly Alexander

Join us on Facebook!