Date: 9/28/17 2:41 pm
From: Seriff, Donald <Donald.Seriff...>
Subject: CHAT and CBC newsletter- All back issues NOW ONLINE
Hi Carolina Birders,

I would like to announce that all back issues of The Chat, the Ornithological Journal of the Carolinas, are now on-line for public reference.

This includes Vol. 1 No. 1, published in 1937 through Vol. 79 No. 4, published in 2015.

I have been working with Patrick Randall with the Ernst Mayer Library, Museum of Comparative Zoology, at Harvard University over the past year and one-half to get the remaining issues scanned at Harvard. The Chat is now an official part of the international Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL).

>>>The Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL) is a consortium of natural history and botanical libraries<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__biodivlib.wikispaces.com_BHL-2BConsortium-2BMembership&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=57EtkmUni1FpMYTg8r9aNWw-3fgnUvYOcd5rWWMI17A&s=3ATCujTRpHX_5b_EFIO2ORd5OJBswfIIH1xbUzX5qt4&e= > that cooperate to digitize the legacy literature of biodiversity held in their collections<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__biodivlib.wikispaces.com_Collection-2BDevelopment-2BPolicy&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=57EtkmUni1FpMYTg8r9aNWw-3fgnUvYOcd5rWWMI17A&s=KwJP-PqmlzljasuAW4XAtYoB8fSU62bCxThHgpQK55o&e= > and to make that literature available for open access and responsible use as a part of a global "biodiversity commons." The BHL consortium works with the international taxonomic community, rights holders, and other interested parties to ensure that this biodiversity heritage is made available to a global audience through open access principles. In partnership with the Internet Archive<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__archive.org_&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=57EtkmUni1FpMYTg8r9aNWw-3fgnUvYOcd5rWWMI17A&s=6qjF52add-hM6fBE0EL8JmM-hoOUaOyv-oISfeOTLdc&e= > and through local digitization efforts, the BHL has digitized millions of pages of taxonomic literature<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__biodivlib.wikispaces.com_Scanning-2BProcess&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=57EtkmUni1FpMYTg8r9aNWw-3fgnUvYOcd5rWWMI17A&s=SKzwvL-QBJI4FlaS1PHIuW_XByOqlpwVoiUn7BGOgWg&e= >, representing over 120,000 titles and over 200,000 volumes.<<<

You can use this link to directly access all back issues of The Chat:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.biodiversitylibrary.org_bibliography_120122-23_summary&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=57EtkmUni1FpMYTg8r9aNWw-3fgnUvYOcd5rWWMI17A&s=0CCN_LpMrIlgncQHpjL3eAYWibi6J7JG11wZLI4TLG8&e=

We are still working on digitizing the back issues of the Carolina Bird Club newsletter. A portion of these (back to 1983) are available on-line at the BHL as well. (Thanks to Steve Shultz for help with this.)

You can use this link to directly access back issues of the Carolina Bird Club newsletter:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.biodiversitylibrary.org_bibliography_121285-23_summary&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=57EtkmUni1FpMYTg8r9aNWw-3fgnUvYOcd5rWWMI17A&s=m44E7OZ-xutuO2Qucp1du1Km8gIXgsKt2VBxCqF8fek&e=

I shared my complete collection of The Chat with Harvard for digitization, however, we have only been able to obtain back issues of the CBC newsletter back to 1983. I have a poorly digitized .pdf file that I scanned of newsletters from 1952-1972 that is not of sufficient quality for on-line use. Please let me know if you have or know of someone who has any back issues of the CBC newsletter - earlier than Vol. 29 No. 3 1983. The only library that I know of that has these older issues is UNC Chapel Hill. We will work with them next if we cannot find any other back issues to use.

I hope all Carolina Birders are also aware that:

Kent Fiala, the Carolina Bird Club's web master, has had back issues of The Chat on-line for almost a decade - dating back to 1971 (Chat Vol. 35 No. 1).

You can access these at: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.carolinabirdclub.org_chat_issues_&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=57EtkmUni1FpMYTg8r9aNWw-3fgnUvYOcd5rWWMI17A&s=BNU33EefmwzxenzhlwhcmF-VXmOzWGGz5iTFtubbyu8&e=

Kent's web site is tremendous resource for anyone interested in researching information about birds in the Carolinas as it provides a cumulative Master Index to all the on-line issues since 1970, an easy to use searchable Chat database for these issues, as well as a quick way to search online Chat content using Google. I think most folks are familiar with the link at the CBC website to LeGrand and Howard's Birds of North Carolina web pages and the CBC Photo Gallery that Kent operates. I use the CBC web site on a daily or weekly basis. Kent's web site is a tremendous resource for all Carolina birders!

Please note: I have resigned by job as Editor of The Chat after almost five years in this position. I very much enjoyed my time as editor of this important and venerable publication. I plan to continue to work to support it in the future and I hope to contribute some Articles and General Field Notes as well. I want to thank Kent Fiala for all of his assistance during my tenure. I called him "Obi-Wan Kent-obi" as he was always there with answers and assistance when I needed him. Thanks also to Josh Southern editor of the Briefs for the Files section for his hard work and professionalism. I hope everyone realizes what a difficult and time consuming job Josh has and what an important job it is. Thanks also to Christina Harvey, Will Post, Leigh Anne Carter, Judy Walker, Steve Wagner, Marilyn Westphal, members and chairs of the NC BRC and the SC BRC, as well as the many authors who spent their time preparing manuscripts for this journal over the past five years.

I would like to wish Steve Shultz, the new Editor of The Chat, my very best.

Don

Don Seriff
Charlotte, NC

Join us on Facebook!