Date: 9/28/17 11:04 am
From: Douglas Harr <dnharr...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Harrier Marsh morning sparrow show
After being skunked at Ledges State Park looking for warblers yesterday
(found only one Palm Warbler), I decided to see what I could find for
sparrows or other things at Harrier Marsh (Boone Co.) early this morning.
It was a very dew-soaked walk, so hip boots were needed to stay halfway
dry.

After checking out 3 wetlands and not finding much, I finally hit a gold
mine around one marsh. I saw at least 9-10 *Le Conte's Sparrows*, 2* Nelson's
Sparrows*, 3 *Savanna Sparrows*, 1 *Song Sparrow*, 1 *Swamp Sparrow*,
and 1 *Clay-colored
Sparrow*. In addition there were at least 5-6 *Marsh Wrens*, 1 *Sedge Wren*,
and 3 *Common Yellowthroats.* There were also several other small birds
flitting in and out of the tall vegetation, tough to see, so there might
have been even more species. All observations were in or near the wetland
in the center of the north half of Harrier Marsh.

Doug Harr
Ogden