Date: 9/28/17 10:46 am
Subject: Re: hurricane devastation
Hey everyone,
Thought I'd post a follow up for those that were curious about the fate of some of the endemic birds in the Caribbean. There is at least some good news now regarding the Barbuda Warbler. While a preliminary initial survey as Derb reported had failed to find any birds and it was feared that Irma may have been an extinction event for this species, a recent survey found some warblers. See below for more. Its not yet clear how hard the population was hit, but at least there is now some hope for this warbler.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.birdscaribbean.org_2017_09_good-2Dnews-2Dconservationists-2Dexcited-2Dto-2Dfind-2Dsurviving-2Dbarbuda-2Dwarblers-2Don-2Ddevastated-2Disland_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=vkA1lle0R6_dcNKxj0xhApSG-VMLS4MuQ0tDYAMfyfk&s=RgdrT5FFEyZ3Rc49oE9HSNsQypUdZoNQSqVN22SyVV4&e=

Hopefully we will hear more in the coming days about the status of other Caribbean birds like the Imperial and Red-necked Parrots on Dominica and the critically endangered Bahama Oriole.
Cheers,Kyle KittelbergerRaleigh, NC

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 2:09 PM, "Adams, Jamie" <carolinabirds...> wrote:

Some good news, many Kirtland's winter on Eleuthera and I know that island seems to have had been missed both times (Irma and Maria).  They only suffered tropical storm winds at worst.  I wonder how the Flamingos of Inagua have fared.  Also the recently split Inagua Woodstar.  It seems Inagua got smashed.

Seems like once the mess is cleaned up the best way to infuse money into the local economies is to visit them.  For some of the islands, it may take a while before that is feasible or safe.

Jamie Adams
Wilmington, NC