Date: 9/28/17 6:37 am
From: Nancy L Newfield <nancy...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Hummingbird Feeders
Melanie, I have been fighting this myth for as long as I can recall. The
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that are migrating through our area will
continue their journey to Mexico and points south of there. Feeders will
not keep them from their 'hardwired' mission. Feeders may provide migrants
that need to load on more fat with calories that would give them an extra
boost on their journey south, but this species has been travelling to
wintering grounds for millenia, without human assistance.

That said, we do have Ruby-throateds in winter. They are NOT the migrants
that are moving through at this time. We have 1 data point of a wintering
Ruby-throated that was subsequently found elsewhere during the summer. It
was in Canada, Alberta, I think. Banding studies by myself and several
other hard-working students have helped to clarify this issue.

Until recently, wintering Ruby-throateds were not in the majority of the 7+
species that we band in winter. However, they did take top honors for the
last 2 winters. In Louisiana, you can safely keep feeders up all year as
long as you maintain them properly.

Nan

--
Nancy L Newfield