Date: 9/27/17 5:41 pm
From: Glenn <000001214b3fcb01-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Bald Knob Ibis
I was at Bald Knob NWR today, hoping to find something interesting.  I did.  I got to watch an aerial battle as a group of about 30 American Crows were harassing a female Northern Harrier.  It lasted for quite a while as the harrier refused to give up the fight.  Finally they drifted off where I could not see them any more.  Meanwhile, a dark bird slipped in and landed in the water.  Yesterday I saw a juvenile White Ibis in the same spot, and at first assumed it was the same bird.  I was wrong.  The ibis was very dark.  It had black feet, dark brown eyes, and a thin white line around the eyes.  I am leaning toward a Glossy Ibis, but it could possibly be a White-faced Ibis.  I know when they are young it is very difficult to tell them apart.  I have sent some photos out for a second opinion, but I wanted to give a heads up to anyone who may be interested in either type of ibis.
Glenn WyattCabot

Join us on Facebook!