Date: 9/27/17 5:27 pm
From: Sherry, Thomas W <tsherry...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Drama along the Mississippi
I watched a juvenile yellow-crowned night heron stalk and nab an adult cicada from the ground in a lawn in my neighborhood (Algiers, ~Lennox Ct. and Gen. Meyer Ave.), and almost before I could process this the bird let out an extraordinary squawk while diving sideways as it barely eluded a juv. sharp-shinned hawk. (I can see these herons, both juvies and adults in the lawns in the neighborhood every year for weeks around this time of year, I think primarily to hunt the emerging cicadas. White ibis do the same thing at times.)

A short while later, ~6:30 PM and Patterson Rd. intersection with Public Rd. along Mississippi R. levee I watched two brown boobies fly steadily upriver, just above the water.

Tom Sherry, New Orleans (Algiers, West Bank)

Join us on Facebook!