Date: 9/27/17 5:18 pm
From: <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Tricolored Heron at Bolsa Chica this afternoon
I found the Tricolored Heron at Bolsa Chica this afternoon (Sept. 27) at 3:15 in the Pocket Pond/Marsh. Jan Gaffney and I and others were looking for it earlier in the walkbridge/Rabbit Island area, and thought we saw it once, but it disappeared. I then drove over to the Brightwater area and parked and walked in to look for the Rock Wren (no luck), then spotted a Reddish Egret in the pond below and started walking further down the trail leading to the channel to get a better look. I ended up at the base of the hill and spotted the Tricolored in the corner of the Pocket Pond near the bridge over the channel. I hurried over but it flew off further down the pond to where there’s a land bridge across at low tide and landed there. I called DIck Cabe who was birding at the walkbridge, and waited until he and Lucy Lee came over to get them on the heron. I saw it from 3:15 to 3:45, when I left. The Reddish Egret chased the Tricolored off its original spot (which the REEG took over), and the Tricolored moved about 20 feet away next to a Snowy Egret.

Terry Hill
Huntington Beach

Join us on Facebook!