Date: 9/27/17 2:31 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET N.E. Lake County Lakefront Wed 9-27-17
Hello Bird People,

Today's plan was to cover 3 beaches & then stop at the IBSP Hawk Watch
for a couple of hours but plans have a way of falling apart. Did the 3
beaches o.k. but there was no access at the north unit of IBSP as they
were doing a controlled burn. Tried to get in twice but the road
remained closed. Was joined by Andy Stewart today at the 1st 2 beach
stops & Lyons Woods.

Waukegan Beach (7-8:15 a.m.)

P.B. Grebe (3 in the inlet) & D.C. Cormorant (~75 fly-bys)
Canada Goose (10 fly-bys), Mallard (3 in the lake) & Shoveler (4 in the inlet)
Coot (1) & COMMON GALLINULE (1) (both together in the inlet)
Sora (heard 1 call in cattails by the inlet)
Sanderling (2 on the beach & 1 on the pier)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1 on the pier)
Ring Billed (~70) & Herring (~12) Gulls
Kingfisher (1-M on the beach)
Eastern Phoebe (1 in the small park)

Lyons Woods (8:30-9:15 a.m.)(My 1st Fall attempt at seeing land birds)

Some highlights were R.B. Nuthatch (H-1), Eastern Bluebird (3), Brown
Thrasher (2), Eastern Towhee (H-1) plus Field (2), White Throated (4)
& White Crowned (3) Sparrows.

Illinois Beach South Unit/Beach Only (9:30-11 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1 fly-by)
Red Tailed Hawk (1), MERLIN (2) & PEREGRINE (1)
(One Merlin caught a small bird, chased a Red Bat & then chased & was
chased by the Peregrine, all in a day's work)
BLACK BELLIED PLOVER (1, mouth of the river) & Killdeer (3, same place)
Ring Billed (~15) & Herring (~5) Gulls
Crows (1 flock of 30-35 birds)

State Line Beach

Not 1 bird of any kind! Not only was it a shorebird shutout but it was
a total bird shutout.

Bird-Of-The-Day to my 1st ever, I think, Common Gallinule at Waukegan
although I saw one a few years ago in Sand Pond in IBSP. Runners-Up
to the battling Merlin & Peregrine & the Black Bellied Plover.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today not being able to get in to the Hawk Watch

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: