Date: 9/27/17 1:02 pm
From: Tom Wood <tcwood729...>
Subject: [wisb] Burlington shorebirds (Racine County)
I went to Echo Park in Burlington in hopes of seeing the Yellow-crowned
Night-Heron which had been found by Lorri H. on 8/25 and seen again by her
on 9/24. She also mentioned in her eBird report that the lake was quite low
and good for shorebirds.
When I arrived, the lake was high and just about to spill over the dam, so
there were no shorebirds, and I could not find the Night-Heron. There was a
work crew at the dam, most of them watching a gentleman turning the wheel
for the spillway gate. He seemed to be closing it even more, so I left and
drove northwest on Pine and Chestnut Streets to Wagner Park. There is a
large shallow grassy area extending from the island that is nearly across
from Pleasant Ave, and here is where the shorebirds were hanging out.
I saw 75! Killdeer, 12 Lesser Yellowlegs, 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 8 Stilt
Sandpipers, 2 Pectoral Sandpipers, 3 Least Sandpipers, 1 Black-bellied
Plover, and 1 Dunlin.
When I returned to the dam area, the workmen were gone and the spillway gate
was open. Whether they intend on drawing the lake down low enough again for
it to be useful to shorebirds, and if so, how long that will take is
unknown to me.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Night-Heron is perched in a tree somewhere in
the area but I couldn't spot it while I was there.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County

http://www.avg.com