Date: 9/27/17 12:25 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Scouting Trip Report
*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Scouting Trip Report*

On Tuesday, Fred and I scouted Minto-Brown Island Park in preparation for
our Salem Audubon bird walk on *Tuesday, October 3rd at 8:00 a.m*. The two
of us walked about three miles as we covered the east side of the park
(Brown Squirrel and Red Osprey Trails) and along the Willamette River. It
was a very nice morning with temperatures ranging from 56 degrees to 69
degrees. The bird activity was sparse considering other recent visits to
the park. The day resulted in observation (seen or heard) of 24 species.

The highlights were as follows:

· Due to the quiet time during the scouting trip there is not much
to report. Both *Cackling Geese* and *Golden-crowned Sparrows* are making
their presence known;

· We only saw one species of woodpecker which was the *Northern
Flicker.* We did not even see or hear a *Downy Woodpecker*!

· The few flocks of birds we did see were *Black-capped Chickadees*,
*Golden-crowned Sparrows* and *Cedar Waxwings*;

· The most active bird was the *California Scrub-Jay*. They seemed
to be present at every turn and were quite vocal;

· There was a covey of 20 *California Quail* in the southeast
corner of the park. The quail jumped out of the bushes suddenly giving us
quite the scare;

· The only raptor seen was a *Red-tailed Hawk *late in the walk; and

· We did not observe a single warbler or any kinglets.

The next bird walk is the *Minto-Brown Island Park bird walk* on *Tuesday,
October 3rd at 8:00 AM*. Meet at Parking Lot #3 at the end of Minto
Island Road. On *Wednesday, October 11th at 8:00 AM* we have the *Talking
Water Gardens* field trip. Meet at the Airport Park & Ride off of Airport
Road just north of Mission Street. Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for September 26, 2017*

*Identified Species: 24*

161 Cackling Goose
29 Canada Goose
2 Wood Duck