Date: 9/27/17 10:16 am
From: Alyssa DeRubeis <alderubeis...>
Subject: Sedge Wrens and a Bobolink in NWA
I have noticed an uptick in Sedge Wrens at my NWA field sites the past
couple of days. I observed three of them in one of my transects at Chesney
Prairie Natural Area (Siloam Springs, Benton Co.) yesterday morning. One
bird was singing, but alas, I couldn't detect any nesting birds. This is an
unusual species that will nest during its fall migration, so keep your eyes
peeled. A Marsh Wren is hanging out in the Couch's Unit too. The resident
Loggerhead Shrike has been more vocal lately but sticks to the northern
unit of the prairie.

This morning I was delighted to hear and see a lone Bobolink at Woolsey Wet
Prairie (Fayetteville, Washington Co.). I didn't see her again as I
traveled through Woolsey. I've recently seen some Marsh Wrens there, and a
likely Sedge Wren this morning.

While conducting my transect surveys at Callie's Prairie, a restored site
on the northeast end of Lake Fayetteville, I was pleased to flush a Sedge
Wren. I wonder if this is a new bird for Callie's Prairie?

Other than that one last week, I haven't seen any sparrows. They'll arrive
soon though...

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Fayetteville, Washington Co.