Date: 9/27/17 10:11 am
From: Ed McDevitt <mcdevitt.ed...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Henry Griffin Bird Walk - Oak Park
Today Henry led a walk for a small group of us, starting in front of his
house, then north in the alley behind his house (a wonderfully productive
place almost always), then through Taylor Park, and back again.

The highlights of the walk: almost immediately a Cooper's Hawk flew across
the alley, then 5 minutes later flew back across again, scattering birds as
it went. Within 10 minutes of that, a Red-tailed Hawk flew just above us,
then landed in a tree about 20 yards away and 20 feet up, first showing us
its back, then turning and showing its front. It stayed on that perch until
we'd had our fill and walked away. The squirrels in the area were on high
alert.

In Taylor Park there was a profusion of American Robins - we estimated
about 300 - feeding on the soccer field and on the rest of the grass in the
park, obviously a migrating robin tour. We saw dozens of robins elsewhere
in the walk.

The species we encountered:

Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 1
Swainson's Thrush - 3