Date: 9/27/17 8:21 am
From: Stewart Wechsler <ecostewart...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Might someone want to map our expanding Scrub Jay population?
Has anyone mapped the sightings of Scrub Jays in Washington and British
Columbia? While I no longer count Scrub Jays in Seattle as rarities, I
still count sightings, in areas I don't regularly see them, as notable, and
a possible indication of a continuing expansion of their population, and
possible range. I would love to see a map of area sightings, where I could
click and see where they were seen one year, then click again to see where
they were seen the next year. (I realize that as the Scrub Jays become
more common, fewer people would add their sightings to such a map, so
people looking at such a map would have to account for that.)

I will add that here in Seattle, I have been regularly able to see them and
hear them for a number of years, in Georgetown, south of Boeing Field.
Also, just 2 or 3 days ago, I had, what I call a "notable sighting" a block
from my apartment, near the West Seattle "Junction" (by California Ave SW &
SW Alaska), an area I may, or may not, have seen them once before.

After repeatedly seeing them in Georgetown, I came to see that
neighborhood, in a flat flood plain of the Duwamish River, with sandier
soils than most of Seattle, as more like some scrub-lands of California,
where this species has been spreading north from over recent decades.

-Stewart
www.stewardshipadventures.com
206 932-7225