Date: 9/27/17 7:17 am
From: <rlshonkw...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET JxP, Tuesday, 26 September: Finally some birds!
I birded Chicago's Jackson Park yesterday covering 63rd Street Beach, the 59th Street promontory and Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow. I've not reported my sightings this month, because there has hardly been anything to report! My days off, Tuesdays and Saturdays, have been the victims of northeast and southern winds. The one day with northwest winds the birds bypassed Jackson Park. Until yesterday the most warbler species I've seen in one day has been no more than 7! Yesterday the winds were still southern but light and a bit westerly; I had 17 warbler species, though not including a hoped for Golden-winged. I guess that I will not see one this year and that ain't right! Today was PALM WARBLER day; there were also good numbers of AMERICAN REDSTARTS, MAGNOLIA and CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLERS.
At 63rd Street Beach an immature PEREGRINE FALCON flushed the gulls and 3 KILLDEER. A BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER flew over heading south. I found 3 NELSON'S SPARROWS (FOY), 3 MARSH WRENS and a SORA (FOY JxP) at the west end nature area. There was another Marsh Wren at the east end (btw, Saturday I had 3 FOY JxP Sedge wrens and 2 FOS Winter Wrens). 3 species of flycatcher were in the same tree inside the east court of the beach house: E. WOOD-PEWEE, LEAST and TRAIL'S FLYCATCHERS. In the other court trees was a PINE WARBLER. At the small 59th Street promontory I had 8 species of warbler, including a NORTHERN PARULA. There was another NELSON'S SPARROW here, too, feeding in the bushes with the warblers.
North of Wooded Island I found several warblers bathing in a wet spot at the southwest corner of the Columbia Basin, including 3 CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLERS and there was a BLUE-HEADED VIREO. The bushes on each side of the walk path near here are often good for warblers and I decided to do some pishing. I soon heard the junco like call of a BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER, which turned out to be a beautiful male! The best spot in the Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow area was the group of trees along 63rd Street just north of the World's Fair statue. New species kept popping out every couple of minutes, including an OVENBIRD and a CANADA WARBLER. There was also a strange looking flycatcher with a crest and head that was shaped like a woodpecker's (like Pileated or Ivory-billed in shape; definitely a flycatcher though!). Here is my full list.

Abbreviations: 63rd = 63rd Street Beach, NLF=North Lake Front/59th Street promontory, WI/BM=Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow.
Canada Goose: 63rd (47), WI/BM (109)
Wood Duck: WI/BM (8)
Mallard: 63rd (5), WI/BM (28)
Double-crested Cormorant: WI/BM (1)
Great Blue Heron: WI/BM (2)
Green Heron: WI/BM (1)
Sora: 63rd (1)
Black-bellied Plover: 63rd (1)
Killdeer: 63rd (3)
Ring-billed Gull: 63rd (270), NLF (85), WI/BM (2)
Herring Gull: 63rd (5), NLF (1)
Rock Pigeon: 63rd (1)
Mourning Dove: WI/BM (1)
Chimney Swift: WI/BM (60)
Belted Kingfisher: WI/BM (1)
Downy Woodpecker: 63rd (1), NLF (1), WI/BM (6)
N. Flicker: WI/BM (1)
Peregrine Falcon: 63rd (1)
E. Wood-Pewee: 63rd (1), WI/BM (1)
Trail's flycatcher sp: 63rd (1)
Least Flycatcher: 63rd)
E. Phoebe: WI/BM (3)
flycatcher sp: WI/BM (1)
Blue-headed Vireo: WI/BM(1)
Red-eyed Vireo: WI/BM (1)
Blue Jay: WI/BM (2)
A. Crow: 63rd (1), WI/BM (6)
Black-capped Chickadee: WI/BM (8)
House Wren: WI/BM (3)
Marsh Wren: 63rd (4)
E. Bluebird: WI/BM (1)
Gray-cheeked Thrush: WI/BM (1)
Swainson's Thrush: WI/BM (20)
A. Robin: WI/BM (3)
Gray Catbird: WI/BM (7)
Euro. Starling: 63rd (23), WI/BM (1)
Ovenbird: WI/BM (1)
N. Waterthrush: WI/BM (1)
Black-and-white Warbler: WI/BM (3)
Tennessee Warbler: WI/BM (6)
Nashville Warbler: WI/BM (2)
Common Yellowthroat: 63rd (1), NLF (1), WI/BM (4)
A. Redstart: NLF (2), WI/BM (14)
N. Parula: NLF (1)
Magnolia Warbler: NLF (1), WI/BM (21)
Chestnut-sided Warbler: NLF (1), WI/BM (9)
Black-throated Blue Warbler: WI/BM (1)
Blackpoll Warbler: 63rd (1), NLF (1), WI/BM (4)
Pine Warbler: 63rd (1)
Palm Warbler: 63rd (18), NLF (6), WI/BM (74)
Yellow-rumped Warbler: WI/BM (9)
Black-throated Green Warbler: NLF (1), WI/BM (2)
Canada Warbler: WI/BM (1)
warbler sp: WI/BM (15)
Chipping Sparrow: WI/BM (3)
Savannah Sparrow: 63rd (2)