Date: 9/26/17 7:59 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <polskatata...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Wind--be out early tomorrow

Today over Corona Hill on breaks from work southbound "obvious" migrants included:

Sharp-shinned Hawk
Osprey
Vaux's Swifts - 6

The Sharpie and swifts appeared over the hill simultaneously around 11-11:15, as a breeze had just kicked up from the northeast.

Around 3:30 an Osprey flew by at eye level
(475' el.) east of the museum terrace.

migrants (not known to winter here) pausing in the Corona Hill plantings today were:

Western Wood-pewee - 2
"Western" Flycatcher - 1
Western Tanager - 2

Species noted arriving in past falls that sometimes continue through spring included:

Northern Flicker
Hutton's vireo - documented nesting <1 km away in Buena Vista Park
House Wren - typically present through "fall" but then usually falls silent/leaves(?) after solstice
Cedar Waxwing
Orange-crowned Warbler
Townsend's Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler(Audubon's)
Golden-crowned Sparrow - singing
White-crowned Sparrows - at least a couple of "Yellow-billed"White-crowns flocking with the golden-crown were suspected Pugetensis. Telling that migratory ssp. from our resident sedentary Nuttall's is pretty much impossible without having the bird in the hand or getting ridiculously close looks and knowing what to look for. I've heard experts mention primary projection and underwing color being two criteria but I could be mistaken. However every fall Corona Hill receives an influx of White-crowns beginning on average at the end of September through early October, that tend to stay in a cohesive flock through end of March before departing, usually around or a bit before the wintering Golden-crowns they flock with.

Reporting after dusk from near twin peaks with onshore breeze dying down and winds already starting to pick up from the east, so get out to your favorite spot tomorrow morning and tell everyone what you see.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Sent from my iPhone

http://www.yahoogroups.com/