Date: 9/26/17 7:52 pm
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Bstn hlw/Yale Forest, 9-26-17 Swainsons Thrush, Winter Wren, 19 sp.
Not a lot of birds around, but a few notable ones. A Winter Wren in Boston
Hollow was the first bird I saw and first Winter Wren in 2 months.
Foraging about 8 feet from car.
Also, a Swainsons Thrush and a singing Blue-headed Vireo in Union, in with
a flock of foraging Chickadees.
Also, several calling Eastern Towhees. Ebird seems to think that's
unusual at this date, but Towhees have been in the same locations all year as in
years past. I believe these are the same birds getting a late start.

Sep 26, 2017 7:50 AM - 12:05 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.5 mile(s)
19 species

Turkey Vulture 1
Mourning Dove 2
Downy Woodpecker 5
Hairy Woodpecker 3
Eastern Phoebe 7
Blue-headed Vireo 1 Still singing his song, although slowly
Blue Jay 25
Black-capped Chickadee 30
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 4
House Wren 4 1 pair seen, others heard
Winter Wren 1 Seen in swamp next to Boston Hollow Rd. 1st one in 2
months
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
Swainson's Thrush 1 In woods by Kinney Hollow Rd just over Union
line. With same flock of Chickadees as the BH Vireo. Heavy dark streaking from
throat on light breast. Top of head, back and tail all very dark. No hint
of red on tail or anywhere else. Wide white eye-ring.
Gray Catbird 4
Cedar Waxwing 6
Pine Warbler 8 still singing where ever there are mature pines.
Song Sparrow 2
Eastern Towhee (Red-eyed) 4 Typical call-note. These birds have been
here all along, or at least, birds in the same locations.

View this checklist online at

Don Morgan
Coventry, Ct