Date: 9/26/17 7:46 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (26 Sep 2017) 38 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 38 11315 11324

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Allison Barnes, Bell Broadley, Kathleen Pileggi,
Lorrie Sherron

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Bell Broadley, Allison Barnes, Kathleen Pileggi, Lorrie
Sherron, Tommy Sherron.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Sunny (45% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 71 - 82F, Winds NE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (60) and
Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Can a Sky Devoid of Birds, Truly Be Beautiful?”---

Bagels with mixed berry cream cheese came along for the ride to the Hawk
Watch this morning….big surprise there, right? A nice surprise, though,
that did await me on my arrival, was a flyby, calling Raven. I’ll never
tire of seeing, nor hearing, these birds around here.

Allison & Bell, you gals were tremendous long-distance spotters!! GREAT
job, you two! You were a tremendous help this morning! I believe I’d have
missed many of those hawks that we did see, were it not for your keen
vision.

Lorrie arrived having just seen an adult over her nearby home. (LS)

The sky was beautiful, a great background of clouds to NOT see all the
migrating hawks not there today. Can’t blame it on the sky…. It was
perfect!

We were late to vanquish the Watch this glorious evening, the beautiful
sunset vibrant with hues of blue, pink, and purple upon all those hawk-less
clouds, captivated us. While the sky was alive with three Nighthawks
swooping in wide, irregular arcs, each feeding right over our heads at
times. Now, that’s the way to end a day, wouldn’t you agree?

When finally arriving at home, a hooting Great Horned Owl greeted me…
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-COMMON RAVEN, 3-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 3-Blue Grosbeak, 7-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (13): Monarch - 52, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem. Dragonflies
(3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Halloween Pennant. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Woodchuck.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.93; Steps: 13,901; Floors:
33.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 48; this season: 111
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks about the same...warm, light northerly winds, about
50% clouds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: