Date: 9/26/17 7:22 pm
From: weatherbird58 <weatherbird58...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Soaring migrants Boone County
Between 2:15-4 pm Tuesday afternoon I looked for soaring migrants near the
junction of Hwy 30 and the Des Moines River in Boone County. For the first
hour it was cloudy but I did see 9 American White Pelicans in a huge kettle
of Franklin's Gulls, some climbing into the clouds. Also seen was a Bald
Eagle and likely a N. Harrier.

Around 3:15 the sun came out and the clouds lined up in streets and the
soaring really heated up. Many pelican flocks, two numbering over 100 with
a total estimate around 435. Hundreds of Franklin's Gulls. Four more Bald
Eagles, 55 Blue Jays in one flock, 2 Sharp-shinned and a Cooper's Hawk,
plus 2 Osprey. Several raptors were very high with wings held back,
heading south but unidentified.

Karl Jungbluth