Date: 9/26/17 2:18 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET 83rd Street Fluddle, Fermi Lab/Lake Law, J.O. Breen Park & Wood Dale Reservoir Tues 9-26-17
Hello Bird People,

I am trying to complete 1 last shorebird survey visit at all my survey
sites before the end of Sept.
Yesterday I covered 3 locations & today I added 4 more. I hope to do 3
more tomorrow leaving 4 more to do by weeks end. If I miss that
deadline I'll finish up in early October. Today I only looked for
birds in the water or nearby. Had a few land birds but I was not
looking for them.

83rd Street Fluddle (7:30-8:15 a.m.)

Great Blues (6) & Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (15), Wood Duck (1-PR), Mallard (144) & Green Winged Teal
(1, as usual)
Killdeer (26), Solitary (3) & Spotted (1) Sandpipers
Cooper's Hawk (1) (Shorebird disruptor #1)
Mourning Dove (6), Kingfisher (1), Chimney Swift (4) & Barn Swallow (4)
On the edges were Palm Warblers (6) & Song Sparrows (4)

Fermi Lab/Lake Law Only (9-10:30 a.m.)

This was the only place today where I had birders (3) for company.
This helped to keep track of stuff

D.C. Cormorant (125 or more) & Great Blue Heron (6)
Canada Goose (2) & Mallard (3)
MERLIN (1) (Shorebird disruptor #2)
Killdeer (38) & AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER (1)
Semipalmated (1), BAIRD'S (2), Pectoral (22) & STILT (1 molting to
gray) Sandpipers
Ring Billed Gull (1)
On the mud were also Crows (3) & AMERICAN PIPIT (1)
An Eastern Phoebe was calling near the parking lot

James O. Breen Community Park (11-11:45 a.m)

D.C. Cormorant (2), Great Blues (2) & Great Egret (5)(both Cormorants
& Egrets did not stay)
Mallard (1-F) & Ring Billed Gulls (8)
Red Tailed Hawk (1) (Shorebird disruptor #3)
BLACK BELLIED PLOVER (1) & Killdeer (44)
Greater (1) & Lesser (18) Yellowlegs
BAIRD'S (1), Pectoral (10) & STILT (9) Sandpipers
BUFF BREASTED SANDPIPER (2)
Wilson's Snipe (1)

Wood Dale Reservoir (1:15-1:30 p.m.)

Green Winged Teal (2)
Killdeer (16, estimate as they all flew)
Ring Billed (46) & Herring (3) Gulls
PEREGRINE (1-AD) (By far the top disruptor of the day as it flushed
all the Gulls & the Killdeer &
then sat there admiring it's handiwork!)

Bird-Of-The-Day will be a tie between the Golden Plover & the Black
Bellied Plover making it an all big Plover awards day. Runners-Up to
the Buff Breasted & Stilt Sandpipers.
Awards for best shorebird chasing to the Peregrine & the Merlin who
both did a good job of clearing out all the shorebirds although the
ones chased by the Merlin returned but the ones chased by the
Peregrine did not. Shows which one is the most frightening!

Al Stokie
Accumulating shorebirds (13 species) today in DuPage & Kane Co's

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: